Former Weyerhaeuser Mansion. It was built as the residence of timber baron John P. Weyerhaeuser in 1923. It contains 16,709 square feet of living space with nearly 50 rooms.
The mansion has unusual features, such as the pipe organ on the first floor. The pipes are in the basement but their sounds are transmitted through the mansion via sound chambers in the wall.
There’s also a dumb-waiter elevator. And the numerous hidden wood panels that still swing open enabled Weyerhaeuser to move from room to room.
The rooms vary in size from the large bedrooms for Weyerhaeuser and his wife, Anna, to smaller rooms on the house’s other side that were once servants’ quarters.
From the second floor office, one can look beyond a steep drop-off across the water in two directions. The lighthouse on Browns Point is visible across Commencement Bay, and on a clear day, an eagle eye can spot the flight tower at Sea-Tac Airport.